Sunday, May 13, 2012

Special Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day.  It is also my firstborn's birthday.  And it was this firstborn's firstborn that made me a grandmother.  Ironic it's all tumbled together into   TODAY.  The firstborn child is at an advantage/disadvantage in birth order.  While you get to do things first, you are also the first recipient of trying out parenting methods.  Parents are more uptight with the firstborn...or we just get more tired and outnumbered with subsequent children.  But firstborns are, well...first.  It is through the eyes of the firstborn you discover the parenting side of the wonder of the world, the heartache of young love, the difficulty that you cannot smooth the path before your child (nor should you).  Most importantly, you discover to the smallest degree, the love God has for you.  You develop a deeper understanding of grace and mercy and what agape love is.  


So, today I celebrate becoming a mom AND the special day of my daughter who made me a mom.  And I celebrate the mom my firstborn is to her children.  

No comments: